Blog Entry #4 RDNG 654

 

September 26, 2022

As a reading interventionist, I have not had much experience using technology with my small groups so I did find this overwhelming.  The thirty minutes I have with my students seem to go by too fast as it; I find myself not getting to everything I was supposed to cover in my daily lesson.  Incorporating technology has truly been a challenge for me.  That being said, as I navigate through the technology, I feel like I can relate to how my students might feel when it comes to the challenge they have when learning to read. I will persevere! 

Currently, I have many students on my caseload that are working on learning their letters and sounds.  I start my lesson with each of these groups by singing the alphabet song everyday.  I thought adding an alphabet song would be a good way to change the beginning of the lesson so it keeps the students engaged. I chose the alphabet song below as it was a change and I liked how they also incorporated the lower case letters instead of just capital letters. 

https://youtu.be/36IBDpTRVNE

I did investigate some of the podcasts as well.  I liked the Brains On podcast; I love you can listen to Julie Andrews - aka Mary Poppins - read a story!  The trouble I had was once again a time issue.  In the curriculum I have to use for intervention, I don't have a lot of leeway to add additional things.  I would rather have my students read to me or listen to me read them a story in front of them. I also enjoyed exploring But Why.  I think the topics are ones that kids would be very curious about.  I also like they have a book series to go with it. I looked at Book Club for Kids but that seemed to be more geared to middle school students.

Using digital audio in the classroom is certainly something I need to keep working on.  I know there is a way to incorporate more technology into my lessons.  I look forward to learning more ideas so I am able to keep my students engaged while having fun learning how to read!






Comments

  1. Tiffany,
    My reading interventionist at my school also expressed the issue of not having enough time with the students to incorporate technology. I understand why because by the time you get them to focused, logged on, and the directions explained, you have about 20 minutes left. Maybe you could just dedicate one day to technology with the kids to start and slowly add more until you get into a routine?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Entry #3 RDNG 654